OlivePad: Yet another iPad beater from India?
There is no dearth of iPad beaters. For Apple’s iPod, the beaters never arrived. iPhone beaters arrived couple of years late. But for iPad the so called beaters have arrived in less than an year. Looks like Apple has some work to do. OlivePad – VT 100 is a table PC with a touch screen which is priced at Rs. 25,000 ($535) ( I really wish I could type the rupee symbol) has 3.5G capabilites and runs Android operating system.
Other specifications :
- 3.5G HSUPA
- 3 megapixel camera and a front camera
- Runs on Android operating system (source)
Olive Pad is ideally suited for browsing, gaming and reading. It will be available in all Croma stores from August. Olive Pad is well priced at Rs 25,000. It is at the level of a high-end mobile phone like a Blacberry or a Nokia N97. Also it is just in time for the Indian market or rather an early mover. India is is not a market for early adopters. But if built right and priced right Olive Pad might be a winner. Apple’s iPad is a little far down the lane and Notion Ink’s Adam has some work left.
Olive Pad is built by India’s Olive Telecom which sells wireless devices from EV-DO, netbook to tablets and set-top boxes. It has so far sold 20 million devices worldwide since 2006.
I haven’t heard about Olive before but it might be a name to be reckoned with. Especially with Indian telecom operators very close to rolling out their 3G networks.
- Cyber-heist mastery: how North Korea stole over US$3 billion in cryptocurrency
- From 1% to 100%: Tallying the impact from Okta data breach
- VMware by Broadcom: layoffs and redundancy
- ChatGPT: A year of revolutionizing AI dynamics
- Barking up the wrong data tree: even pets aren’t safe from a data breach