China to step up controversial technology plans
BEIJING (AP) — China says it plans to step up efforts this year to develop clean energy and other high-tech industries in a strategy that has strained trade ties with Washington and other governments.
Officials said Thursday that areas targeted by the government this year include energy-saving technologies, new energy cars and next-generation mobile phones.
The communist government is trying to nurture Chinese technology industries with grants and other support. But the strategy has triggered complaints Beijing is violating its free-trade commitments and prompted a U.S. complaint to the World Trade Organization in December over subsidies to Chinese producers of wind and solar equipment.
- Huawei, AWS, Microsoft boosting digital skills in Southeast Asia
- The digital education platforms shaping schools and colleges today
- The Hot Vendor That’s Making Cloud Storage Simple, Affordable and Predictable
- What happens when scammers get scammed?
- Announcements you might have missed from AWS reInvent 2022