Singaporean Group Deals Site Folds Up
Mocca Perks, a group deals site under the Mocca.com buy and sell website, announced the closure on its landing page today. Customers who bought goods or services through the site will have until 2 September 2012 to redeem said purchases. The Mocca Perks site will re-launch with a “new e-commerce initiative,” but there are no definite dates for the said revamp.
The main Mocca site is also undergoing renovation, after failing to make a dent in the buy and sell business in Singapore. Popular sites like eBay, AdPost, Gumtree, Craigslist and newcomer Gmarket are just some of the numerous buy and sell sites that generate a lot of traffic. The Mediacorp-backed site just didn’t get enough foothold in the market, despite the local media giant’s clout and advertisement coffers.
Singaporeans’ healthy penchant for shopping assures great business for group buying sites like Groupon, Deal.com, BigDeal.sg and 43 other sites. Many have fallen by the wayside yet the simple, zero inventory, commission-based business thrives in this island state.
Facebook announced last week that it will take on the group deals business with Facebook Offers. Users who click on a Get Offer link can redeem coupons from businesses they “like.” Facebook reps said the venture went on limited release to users in the US, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Turkey.
- Malaysia’s first tech unicorn Carsome to lay off staff within 24 hours — sources
- Toyota-backed Pony.ai is co-developing L4 robotaxis with SAIC
- VMware Workspace at the edge of the Singapore F1 GP with McLaren
- How will 5G technology power users’ experience in the metaverse?
- Intel hoping to ease complexities for developers with more cloud and AI