LG Electronics profit surges on smartphone sales
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s LG Electronics Inc. says its third-quarter profit jumped 87 percent over a year earlier as smartphone sales set a record high.
LG Electronics said Wednesday its July-September net income reached 202.6 billion won ($193 million) on sales of 14.9 trillion won. Operating income more than doubled from a year earlier to 461.3 billion won.
LG said the solid earnings stemmed from the recovery of its handset business. Its profit exceeded that from televisions, LG’s other mainstay business.
The company’s smartphone shipments increased 40 percent from a year earlier to a record 16.8 million units, as its flagship G3 smartphone and mid-tier L series smartphone drove sales.
LG’s mobile communications business remained profitable for a second straight quarter after three quarters of losses.
- The dawn of a new era: NVIDIA’s trillion dollar agenda with generative AI and 5G
- Chinese state-sponsored cyber threats are becoming a global menace
- China’s Ant Group expands Alipay+ integrations in Thailand
- Are we ready for the new generation of AI-powered IPAAS?
- What generative AI means for Singapore businesses