China’s Xiaomi takes aim at Apple with new phone
BEIJING (AP) — Rising smartphone star Xiaomi is moving upmarket and taking aim at Apple.
The Chinese manufacturer on Thursday unveiled a new model that chairman Jun Lei said has processor performance comparable to Apple’s iPhone 6 but is thinner and lighter. The 16-gigabyte model starts at 2,299 yuan ($375), less than half the iPhone’s 5,288 yuan ($865) price in China.
Xiaomi, founded in 2010, passed South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co. last year as the best-selling smartphone brand in China by number of handsets sold.
The new phone could add to competition for Apple in China, a market the company says should become its biggest in coming years.
- The end of TikTok Shop and other social commerce in Indonesia
- Lost in translation: Can AI tools improve?
- Is ChatGPT enabling collaborative decision-making or merely Hobson’s choice?
- NVIDIA and NTT DOCOMO revolutionize telecom services with world’s first GPU-accelerated 5G network
- Sony battles new hack: ‘Is my account safe?’ Echoes among concerned customers