China’s Xiaomi takes aim at Apple with new phone
BEIJING (AP) — Rising smartphone star Xiaomi is moving upmarket and taking aim at Apple.
The Chinese manufacturer on Thursday unveiled a new model that chairman Jun Lei said has processor performance comparable to Apple’s iPhone 6 but is thinner and lighter. The 16-gigabyte model starts at 2,299 yuan ($375), less than half the iPhone’s 5,288 yuan ($865) price in China.
Xiaomi, founded in 2010, passed South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co. last year as the best-selling smartphone brand in China by number of handsets sold.
The new phone could add to competition for Apple in China, a market the company says should become its biggest in coming years.
- Building successful telcos of the future in the 5G era
- Extending mainframe investments with modern software development and DevOps solutions
- Is India finally inching closer to its 5G ambitions?
- Should employees be worried about working in the metaverse?
- One in four consumers are online fraud victims in the Asia Pacific