China’s Xiaomi takes aim at Apple with new phone
BEIJING (AP) — Rising smartphone star Xiaomi is moving upmarket and taking aim at Apple.
The Chinese manufacturer on Thursday unveiled a new model that chairman Jun Lei said has processor performance comparable to Apple’s iPhone 6 but is thinner and lighter. The 16-gigabyte model starts at 2,299 yuan ($375), less than half the iPhone’s 5,288 yuan ($865) price in China.
Xiaomi, founded in 2010, passed South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co. last year as the best-selling smartphone brand in China by number of handsets sold.
The new phone could add to competition for Apple in China, a market the company says should become its biggest in coming years.
- Australia powers through new IoT network in the heart of Adelaide
- Can API insurance platform solve the pain points in the industry?
- What are some of the emerging roles in the new finance workforce?
- Nestlé, McDonald’s, Virgin Media root for transparency in digital ads
- Why construction professionals need big data and BI tools