China’s Xiaomi takes aim at Apple with new phone
BEIJING (AP) — Rising smartphone star Xiaomi is moving upmarket and taking aim at Apple.
The Chinese manufacturer on Thursday unveiled a new model that chairman Jun Lei said has processor performance comparable to Apple’s iPhone 6 but is thinner and lighter. The 16-gigabyte model starts at 2,299 yuan ($375), less than half the iPhone’s 5,288 yuan ($865) price in China.
Xiaomi, founded in 2010, passed South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co. last year as the best-selling smartphone brand in China by number of handsets sold.
The new phone could add to competition for Apple in China, a market the company says should become its biggest in coming years.
- Huawei, AWS, Microsoft boosting digital skills in Southeast Asia
- The digital education platforms shaping schools and colleges today
- The Hot Vendor That’s Making Cloud Storage Simple, Affordable and Predictable
- What happens when scammers get scammed?
- Announcements you might have missed from AWS reInvent 2022