LG Electronics says 1Q profit sinks nearly 60 percent
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — LG Electronics Inc. says its quarterly profit plunged 59 percent from a year earlier as losses from TVs offset a modest improvement in its smartphone business.
The Korean company said its January-March net profit fell to 38.4 billion won ($36 million) from 92.6 billion won a year earlier. Sales were flat at 14 trillion won while operating profit slumped 37 percent to 305 billion won.
Its TV business lost money as weak currencies in emerging markets sapped demand.
LG sold a record high number of smartphones but its mobile profit was thin. Even after selling 15.4 million smartphones, up 26 percent, the division’s operating profit margin was just 2 percent. Apple’s margin was more than 20 percent while Samsung’s was about 10 percent.
- Huawei, AWS, Microsoft boosting digital skills in Southeast Asia
- The digital education platforms shaping schools and colleges today
- The Hot Vendor That’s Making Cloud Storage Simple, Affordable and Predictable
- What happens when scammers get scammed?
- Announcements you might have missed from AWS reInvent 2022