Enabling the always-on enterprise, with Stratus next-gen edge computing solutions
Industrial technologies are getting increasingly powerful, with growing amounts of data flowing to and from machines and devices used in industry – whether it be on the factory floor, in remote installations, in the supply chain or in logistics.
Plant locations and field operations don’t lend themselves well to high-bandwidth, fast connectivity that cloud based applications require, so edge computing is being deployed more commonly so that companies can be more efficient with fewer resources close to hand while ensuring continuous operations.
Stratus is a leading high-tech company that supplies a new generation of edge computing platforms specifically designed for deployment in real-world IoT/industrial automation edge environments.
And with the company’s ztC Edge, set-up is simple and is fully installable in less than an hour by any member of staff, in any environment. Therefore, there’s no need for a dedicated data center or even a traditional computing rack – in fact, ztC Edge can be set up attached to OEM.
The IT burden for the individual site and the organization as a whole is significantly reduced, as a result of the solution design, the underlying technology, and the services built-in to the Edge computer.
KEY SOLUTION CAPABILITIES
Thanks to virtualization software, the ztC Edge device can run up to four virtual machines, each capable of hosting its own industrial or IIoT applications. Each of these virtual machines can run Windows or Linux operating systems, so whatever infrastructure you happen to use at present will port easily to this new, ground-breaking platform.
Because of its built-in remote management and self-healing capabilities, critical production applications can be protected in no time. With a single solution, you can replicate essential applications and let the device’s protection routines help ensure the highest levels of availability. Or you can consolidate the number of hardware devices you need to run on fewer yet more powerful systems.
Its self-monitoring and self-repair capabilities mean the ztC Edge is ideal for unmanned stations or edge installation where resources are limited. Rugged and hot-swappable, each device can be placed just about anywhere. If there’s a traditional DIN rail, great; if not, just attach the ztC Edge wherever you can, and connect it to your network.
The device performs equally well in a control room, machine cabinet, or even on the shop floor attached to larger machinery. It’s fanless, has no moving parts (unlike a traditional spinning disk, hard drive-based computer) and is industrially rated for durability including in extreme temperatures.
The virtualization technology on board the ztC Edge means that software can be reconfigured or updated on a running, “live” system – with no downtime. Systems just continue to work, and do not even require rebooting.
The ztC Edge can be remote controlled, with multiple devices at many hundreds of locations all managed in a single place, with each device supplying mission-critical monitoring analytics for insightful progress reports via ztC Console and predictive maintenance analysis by Stratus.
Built into the availability technology that underpins the ztC Edge, there’s automatic failover; applications running in one room resuming in another, with minimal interruption of service, and without operator intervention – effectively automated local site disaster recovery, built in.
The turnkey solution from Stratus runs SCADA/HMI systems, Historian databases as well as analytics applications, and its industrial-grade durability combined with zero-touch support simplifies both OT and IT operations substantially.
ztC EDGE SOLUTION BENEFITS
- Increased operational efficiency: ztC Edge simplifies and shortens the time it takes to get critical applications up and running continuously.
- Reduced IT burden: self-monitoring and self-protecting capabilities make it ideal for unmanned stations or remote locations with limited IT resources. It’s simple to set up and takes care of its own system health.
- Lower downtime risk: ztC Edge’s virtualization host software can be updated on a running system (without requiring a system reboot), reducing even planned downtime. Its self-monitoring and self-healing features save on expensive downtime.
- Multiple deployment options: ztC Edge performs equally well in the computer cupboard, broom closet, or factory floor. Its fan-less, solid-state design is durable, industrial CE certified and can be wall- or DIN rail-mounted, with front-accessible color-coded ports for quick and easy installation.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
To learn more about Stratus’ solutions to power your IIoT and Industry 4.0 initiatives, get in touch with a representative today.
- The next step in data’s evolution: Software-Defined WANs for the enterprise
- (Software) Defining your next WAN, with Cato Networks
- Dark data is the resource goldmine you don’t dig into
- Why You Need to Rethink Your Back-up and Recovery Strategy
- Your data is safe, but is your customers’ data? Changing regulations in a digital world